Monday, September 14, 2009

How Do You Know If You've Done Your Job Well?

What happens when you do your job well? You might get a raise or maybe even a promotion.

As a parent if you do your job well, you end up with kids you are really proud of. And as they mature into great adults and get married and have kids of their own you then get promoted and end up as "Grand"parent. Then the benefits get even better.

As an employee we all want to do our best, but what happens if we work a little too hard at our job?

As a parent you still end up with kids that you are proud to call your own. You brag about their accomplishments and do whatever it takes to help them continually succeed. You might even agree to send them to Europe as an exchange student.

But BEWARE if you have worked hard at your job, you may never hear from said child again. In fact when you finally call the kid after they have been gone from your home for 5 weeks (4 of which have been spent in Europe) you may actually hear your kid say "Mom, I can't talk right now, I have a friend over"

What happens when the work we do is not recognized? Some people find another job.

Some people act out at work.

Yes, I speak from experience. I like to think that we did a good job raising our daughter. We have always tried to provider her with the tools that she would need for success. Given her the ability to not rely on us but to rely on her faith and her own abilities. She is a wonderful young person, one who I love to be around (most of the time I mean she is a teenager), and one who I love to watch as she interacts with others. She is tenacious, funny, and bright.

I miss her.
I hope someday she decides that she would like to hear our voices again.

But until then I vow not to sit by the phone and wait but rather I plan on spending my time plotting for when she comes home and all the joy that I will have short-sheeting her bed, making her least-favorite dishes, thinking up chores that she wont like, etc....

If anyone has any suggestions to add to my list, please know that I am open to suggestions.

3 comments:

Reverend Ref + said...

Don't forget to count toes and spaces.

Crimson Rambler said...

I hear you, I hear you, I hear you!!!

Anonymous said...

Both of our sons travelled overseas and the best we ever did was link our bank account to theirs so we could transfer funds to them instantly. They seem to be on Skype all the time now, we even offered to pay them $20 travel money everytime we heard from them. Works wonders :)

Alan ... still watching from the land down under