Sunday, May 24, 2009

One Hour of Pain

To many, Memorial Day is a day to take flowers up to the cemetery in an effort to remember loved ones who are no longer with us.

To the retail world it is a another opportunity to offer an exciting sale.

I have to admit that this year I am grateful for the annual Memorial day sale. It turns out that the kid is in need of many new things in her wardrobe prior to going to Germany for the year.

Let me say that the kid hates to shop. This is probably the most puzzling thing for me. As a kid my earliest and most fun memory of my mom is of riding the escalator at the clothing store in my home town. So when I take my kid shopping it just doesn't make sense to me that she doesn't enjoy this activity or look forward to it.

Looking forward to it or not it has to be done and it is best just to find a way to make it work for everyone involved.

We decided to break down the items that she needs and get them in several small shopping trips instead of one large trip. Im not sure if this is such a good idea because I think it means that I get to have several trips with a grumpy child instead of just one. Is one hour of pain several times better than several hours all at once?

We went to two stores and were able to get the items that we were searching for without too much attitude. She even managed to be supportive while I tried on some clothes.

She may not like shopping but I think she is beginning to realize that growing up means that you can't wear the samething for ever. Which means SHOPPING and you might as well make the best of it.

I can actually say we had a good time and no ones life was in danger hopefully the next trips will go as smoothly as this one.

1 comment:

Jane Ellen+ said...

She makes perfect sense to me. Shopping may be necessary, but it is also aggravating and exhausting. I can enjoy it, upon occasion, once I've geared myself to do so; but it is not my favorite way to spend time.