Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Horizons

Initially it felt like a privilege to be asked if I would be a facilitator for a community development project.  

Then after sitting through the training it felt like it was going to be a lot of work.  


Initially my co-facilitator and I had 9 people signed up.  I begged and bribed a teenager which gave us 10 and she begged one of her friends that gave us 11 and then another one of their friends wanted to participated that gave us 12, YEAH a full group.  We had a great range of ages from teens to people who are in their 70s.  

This week was our first meeting.  We had a good group of people for the first meeting although we had a couple of people who were unable to attend.  I knew only 2 people outside of the teenagers in our group so being a facilitator was a little nerve-raking.  

We started asking questions and the group slowly started talking.  It was surprising to hear the responses to how they see the community, what it is like to live here, and also what they like about their community.  It was interesting to see that even with the age range there were commonalities in most of their answers and that they were all very respectful of each other and their opinions.

I am looking forward to next week and the next session.  I cant wait to see how the answers from the youth and the answers from the adults will merge together in our next activity.   I really feel like there could be energy in abundance next week at the meeting and ultimately I am grateful to be a part of it.  

No comments: