Thursday, March 06, 2008

Goverment lingo

Ok Ive been filling out paperwork for different government agencies. You see the company that I work for recently went through a "legal status change". Now instead of being a "sole proprietor" the company is a "LLC". This meant a new tax ID number and a new NPI (National Provider Identifier).


The NPI number is how all of the insurance companies are supposed to be able to identify us and therefore pay us. And as we all know everyone likes to get paid. The problem is they all know us by our old NPI and not our new NPI. Now in my mind, which I realize is simplistic, it seems that you should just have to alert the agency and they should be able to just change the numbers in their computer systems. However, this is the government we are dealing with. The only agency that is as simplistic as I am it turns out is Idaho Medicaid. All the other Medicaids that I deal with (Montana, Washington, Oregon, and ND) are making me send in up to 25 pages for re-registration forms.

One of the forms had the following sentence: If provider is a legal entity other than a person, the person signing the provider agreement on behalf of the provider warrants that he/she has legal authority to bind provider.

I just want to make sure that I am interpreting this correctly, so help me out here. Does this mean that the person who signs the form is agreeing to keep the "provider" on a leash. Cause I'm signing these forms and Im not sure Im capable of keeping my "provider" on a leash. Besides, my town doesn't have a leash law.

No comments: