Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Travel Home

We left for Belize City at 6:30am.
I am not a morning person.
To be up and ready and packed by 6:30am is not my idea of a good time. But to be able to stop for a visit at the zoo we need to leave early. (Cece always votes to go to the zoo even though my hand is not raised.) The zoo is a pretty neat zoo, it is actually all animals that have been rescued or rehabilitated. They are all also animals that are native to the area. The howler monkeys are great, especially if you have Dennis with you who is basically just a big monkey himself and got them roaring quite loudly.

We drove the 2 1/2 hrs to Belize city, stopping for 45min at the zoo, got all the luggage sorted out, and began the process of going through security. I had no problems with trying to leave Belize. Though Cliff, our ENT was taken to a security room because they thought that the microscope that he was transporting was a gun. They actually had him put it together to show that it wasn't. I was not feeling great about this cause my extra bag that I was carrying happened to belong to Cliff and I had no idea what was in it.

We did fine getting through security and checking out of Belize. Then we got to Houston. Customs went ok. Im still not sure about that coconut that Cece put in our bag but at least it wasn't a star fish. Then we go to go through security. Im not sure I like the TSA dept. I realize that they are there for my benefit. But Im really getting tired of having to stop there and have long conversations about my bags. This time however it wasn't me that caused the delay. It was Cece. First it was her jewelery that she left on. She removed the new bracelets that she had purchased and went back through. It still beeped. Meanwhile, Im busy getting my shoes and finding my bags and had no idea that she was being detained in the little glass booth and getting ready to to be patted down. I happened to look over my shoulder and see her sitting there.

I immediately asked to be able to be in the room with my daughter. I explained that she was a minor and that I wanted to be with her before they began anything. They apologized and stated that they didn't realize that she was a minor. I might want to add here that Cece is 14, has no hips, barely has a chest, and is like 90lbs dripping wet. She also wears no make-up. She looks all of maybe 12. Anyway it turned out that she told the lady that she forgot that her iPod was in her pocket. No matter. The iPod would have to go through the machine but she would still have to to go through the pat down. Oh Brother!! It all worked out and we made it to our gate on time.

Finally got to Seattle, got our luggage, and found my sister-in-law and mother-in-law who were there to pick us up. Got back to my sis-in-law's place for the night and found that my mother-in-law had made my favorite pie for me, blackberry YUM!!! Aw, its good to be home.

1 comment:

Crimson Rambler said...

I was very sorry this morning to read about the death of a Belizean musician (Palacio? perhaps) who was a great proponent of the Garifuna music -- now without your blog I might never have known what that was!