Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Holiday changes

Let me start off by stating that I am thankful for so many things, first and foremost my family and our new home. I look out at the mountains every morning and am so very Thankful. I am thankful for the change from Chicago to Montana. Im just not sure I like all of the changes that are taking places at the moment. Ok I realize that things change and I knew that with my hubby being a new priest it would make things different for us. In fact we had started to prepare for this in our last year of seminary (probably should have started sooner) but I don't think it had trully sunk in until now how much things were going to change. First of all RevRef has to do a service on Thanksgiving morning, ok no big deal cause its not like we live close enough for us to go to any of our families homes for T-day any way. So that means it will be just the 3 of us eating turkey. I actually think that this will be the last year that I make a turkey. I have decided that it is just too much work for the 3 of us. That and it's too hard to get a turkey that is less than 10lbs which means we will be eating turkey forever. Then there is the fact that we live too far from any decent shopping. Semi-decent shopping is 100mi round trip(and you go through a mountain pass and cross the continental divide) and good shopping is 210mi round trip. Somehow the shopper in me, and trust me I am a good shopper, just cant seem to get up the desire to make the drive to brave the crowds. Not to mention that my shopping buddy is visiting her family in Indiana. Then of course after Thanksgiving we start into Advent and then things really start to hop. When you are just a member of the congregation you can pick and choose which events you want to participate in but when your spouse is the clergy you might as well attend cause he/she has to and if you dont, you wont have any family time. So I guess we will all be a little busy through the Advent season. There will be Lessons and Carols x2, Saint Nick party, RevRefs ordination, as well as the community events to attend. I get worn out just thinking about it all. Usually the holidays are my favorite times but this year I am feeling a bit overwhelmed. If anyone has any words of wisdom as to how to adapt to all of this I would love to hear 'em.

1 comment:

Dawgdays said...

This is the kind of "clergy spouse" thing I was thinking about. Not driving 100 miles to shop, but a totally different feel to the holidays.

It's going to be interesting reading these, seeing as you have a year's head start on me. Thanks for sharing.