Saturday, March 07, 2009

Let Mikey, He'll Try Anything!

Last night The Rev got called out with the volunteer fire dept. Initially he volunteered his services as chaplain, they however handed him full gear and signed him up. Not a big deal since he had done volunteer work as a fireman before.

Last nights call involved a possible chimney fire. Chimneys are located on the roof. We have had snow recently making roofs slippery. Fireman wear rubber boots which do not give a lot of traction on a metal roof in the snow. Bearing all of that in mind why is it that my husband is the one who ends up on the roof?

I might add that this is not the first time that he has been up on the roof staring down into a chimney. The last time he actually melted the lens on his flashlight. He is learning, this time he grabbed a flashlight off the truck.

When I asked him how come he always seems to be the one on the roof he just shrugged it off. I think it goes back to the old Life cereal commercial.

Our Fire Dept's commercial will be: Let Todd, He'll try anything.

3 comments:

Jane Ellen+ said...

He's up on the roof because it's a job that needs to be done... and he can do it. I have a head for heights, so I'd probably be up there too. (^_^)

The Lovely Wife said...

Yes but sometimes we need to realize that there are others that also can do the job just as well and then maybe we need to hold the ladder.

Jane Ellen+ said...

Sure there are others who can do the job; none of us is indispensable.

That said, I'd still probably be the first one volunteering to go up on that roof... and I'll admit that I'm actually a bit envious, as our local VFD does not have a history of welcoming women as volunteers.