Thursday, January 29, 2009


For awhile now I have been complaining at work of headaches. I get the headaches only at work and shortly after going home the headaches thankfully resolve. For the record, one other co-worker is also getting headaches.

I told my employer. I also told my employer that their three children ages 8, 6, and 3 were caught once again pouring water down the vents and wondered if I could possibly reacting to mildew.

And so the cleaning began. First an overall cleaning of the office. Next the carpet was cleaned.

Still the headaches prevailed.

Next my employer decided to service the furnace and clean the filter.

The furnace guy came. He cleaned, changed the filter, cleaned some more, and then inspected the furnace.

He then hung a tag on the gas line to the furnace warning that the gas should not be turned on until repairs are made.

Great. First I have headaches, now I have no heat.

"Don't worry we will turn it on after he leaves, we can't run a business without heat." said my employer. Except he couldn't get the gas to turn back on. So we all got space heaters. Not exactly the same as a furnace but you know you do what you have to do.

Apparently the "heat exchange" is cracked in the furnace. Why is this a problem? Well apparently this causes a release of carbon monoxide. I googled the symptoms of monoxide poisoning and found headaches, stomach problems, dizziness, and fatigue among the symptoms.

Does a carbon monoxide leak, even a small one sound like a good thing to anyone? Yeah I didn't think so. I think we may have possibly found the cause of my headaches.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pouring water down the vents??? Interesting!

I would definately suggest getting some carbon monoxide detectors.