Thursday, April 09, 2009

"18 Freakin' Pages"

Today when we got home from Maundy Thursday service we checked our answering machine and got some good news, some bad news, and some news that makes me go "hmmm".

The good news: The kid has been accepted by the local Rotary Youth Exchange to be an exchange student to Germany for next school year.

The bad news: She has to fill out an 18 page application, get a health exam, dental exam, school transcript, and form filled out by her school "representative" all which was due January 1, 2009. Yeah we are getting all this late.

The news that makes me go "hmm...": the fact that my daughter will be going clear across the world for a year and the only contact that I will have will be via email and phone. She will be living with strangers and I will have to trust that she will be ok and make choices that are grown-up and best for her.

Applying is one thing, being is accepted is a whole different thing.

No comments: